HOW TO APPLY FOR THE GERMAN STUDENT VISA IN INDIA
WHERE TO PROCESS YOUR GERMAN STUDENT VISA IN INDIA
All Indian nationals who wish to study in Germany require a student visa prior to their departure. The consulate where your visa application will be processed depends upon the state where you are residing in India. For example- Applicants residing in Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu or Pondicherry have to submit their respective visa applications to the Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Chennai. An application may only be filed at the German Embassy New Delhi under the provision that the applicant has permanent residence in the area of jurisdiction of the Embassy which includes the states of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Union Territories Chandigarh, Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Minicoy and Amini. Similarly, the German Consulate General in Mumbai provides visa and consular services for residents of its jurisdiction which extends to Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Daman and Diu….And likewise for all the places in India you have a center allocated. Please keep in mind that the place of issue of your passport is of no relevance in this regard. Mind you, you are not required to visit directly to the consulates, but the German visa process is managed by a private company, VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd. For further details regarding opening hours of the Visa Application Centers and service charges of VFS, please visit the VFS website. Hence, your first point of contact for starting your visa process should be VFS!
WHAT ARE THE DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE GERMAN STUDENT VISA
Typically, there are slightly different requirements for different consulates and what you may need exactly will depend upon the consulate where you are going to process your visa, but broadly all the consulates require the same documents. For the sake of this example we are listing the documents required at the Chennai consulate, which is the visa office for the people residing in Hyderabad.
- valid Passport (issued within the last 10 years) with at least 12 months validity
- 3 Passport Pictures according to biometric specifications
- Demand Draft for Visa Fee: The Visa Fee for a student visa is € 60,-. The visa fee has to be paid in Rupees by Demand Draft in the name of the “Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Chennai” on the day of application. The Demand Draft must be payable in Chennai and may not be older than two months. Only Demand Drafts from the Indian Bank, Canara Bank, RBS or Deutsche Bank will be accepted. Demand Drafts with incorrect amounts will not be accepted. Fees cannot be paid in cash. Please refer to the homepage of the German Consulate General at www.chennai.diplo.de in order to find out the current amount of the visa fee in Rupees. Please note that the visa fee is not refundable, even when the visa is refused.
You are requested to provide two sets of application documents containing the following documents:
- Application Form for the visa
- Declaration on True and Complete Information
- Your Cover Letter explaining the reason for your visa application. Please also submit a German translation of this documentation (Original)
- Letter of Admission from a German University (A4 sized copy), signed with seal of the university
- University Certificates (Degree Certificates and Mark Sheets, Original and A4 sized copy)
- Proof of knowledge of the English language (TOEFL/IELTS) Original and A4 sized copy). This document is mandatory for the visa process, even if it is not required by the German university. Only exemptions possible: Applicants for Ph.D. / Doctorate studies and Erasmus Mundus Scholarship Holders
- Proof of Financial Means, one of the following documents (Original and A4 sized copy):
- Confirmation of Scholarship
- formal sponsorship letter from sponsor living in Germany (“Verpflichtungserklärung”)
- Confirmation of a German blocked account (“Sperrkonto”) in the amount of € 7.905,- and with a monthly withdrawal allowance of € 659,-
- A4 sized copy of your passport
- If applicable, proof of previously acquired German knowledge (mandatory, if class in Germany is taught – even partly – in German)
WHERE TO FIND ALL THE FORMS AND APPLICATIONS FOR GERMAN VISA
All required forms and declarations as well as the visa information sheets may be downloaded from the visa page of the German
Consulate General’s homepage a.k.a German Mission’s website- http://www.india.diplo.de/. For the sake of this example please see the below pictures if you are someone from Hyderabad and has to do his/her visa process at the Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Chennai.
When you see the above screen, then you need to scroll down and you feel find more documents both at the bottom of the page and at the side bar shown in the next screen-
Next, you can download all the documents you were looking for. Hurray !
HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR THE GERMAN STUDENT VISA TO PROCESS
The German Immigration Offices will take a minimum of 4 weeks but might take 8 to 12 weeks for processing your visa application. Please note that the visa approval is valid for 3 months only. You, therefore, should arrange to have your visa stamped within this period of time for the residence permit when you land in Germany. If you fail to meet this deadline, your visa will be rejected automatically and you will have to start the visa process all over. Simultaneous applications for visiting visa in order to “bridge” the processing time of the student visa cannot be entertained. Visa for tourist or visiting purposes cannot be converted into residence permits after arrival in Germany.