DUCKWORTH-LEWIS SYSTEM IN CRICKET MAY REPLACED BY AN INDIAN ENGINEER’S VJD SYSTEM
V Jayadevan, an engineer from India, has spent almost a decade working on his so-called VJD system, which is already been used in Indian domestic matches since 2007 following a recommendation from batting legend Sunil Gavaskar.
The ICC will soon announce if the VJD system will replace the old Duckworth-Lewis method after discussions in London by the ICC’s cricket committee, headed by former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd.
Jayadevan, a passionate statistician, calculates his chances of success in percentage terms. “I think there is 90 percent hope if members read it patiently,” Jayadevan said. “I won’t be at the ICC meeting because I was not invited, so I cannot immediately clear any doubts which a member may have. That is why I have taken away the remaining 10 percent chance,” he said.
Jayadevan is confident that his system of calculating revised targets is a vast improvement on the old D/L method. He also said- in my report, I have pointed out the mathematical and statistical flaws in the D/L system and how that has been corrected in my method.
Jayadevan also gave the example that- in the World Cup game, South Africa needed a gettable 22 runs off 13 balls before rain stopped play, but that became a ludicrous 21 off one ball when the match resumed, of course, after applying the D/L system.